SCDOT has developed manuals and specifications to provide engineers with the Department's standard design policies and practices.
For questions or comments Contact Us.
Geotechnical Design Manual (2022)
The Geotechnical Design Manual (GDM) provides uniform design practices for designers preparing geotechnical reports and contract plans for SCDOT projects.
This Manual should be used in conjunction with:
- gINT Files (incorporates Rock Coring Summary & Shelby Tube Log)
- ERS and Ground Improvement Selection Matrix
- ERS Selection Matrix Example
- Reasons for Selecting Specific IRs Example
- Pile Cost-PDAvsNo-PDA
- Bridge Design Manual
- Seismic Design Specifications for Highway Bridges
- Borrow Materials Database Spreadsheet
- GDF-001 - Bridge Load Datasheet
Geotechnical Drawings & Details
Drawings are available in Microstation DGN and PDF formats.
Geotechnical Design Bulletins are issued to supplement or revise the GDM.
Quality Control (QC) and Quality Assurance (QA) checklists are available at Design Quality. The QC checklist is to be completed by the GEOR while the QA checklist is to be completed by the Geotechnical Design QA Engineer.
Subscribe to Preconstruction Updates
Consultant Seismic Information Request Form
Submit requests for seismic hazard map information to the appropriate Regional Production Group - Geotechnical Design Section. Use the Consultant Seismic Information Request - GDF 002 Form (345Kb). For questions, refer to the Geotechnical Design Manual or contact the appropriate Regional Production Group - Geotechnical Design Section.
To facilitate developing Vs profiles to the appropriate depth, the link below accesses a GIS map indicating the location of representative Vs profiles along with the additional information for each location.
Additional information will be available later this year.
Outside Geotechnical Resources
- FHWA Geotechnical Engineering
- Advanced Geotechnical Methods in Exploration (A-GaME)
- Application of Geophysical Methods to Highway Related Problems
Additional reference materials may be purchased from American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) and National Highway Institute (NHI)
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) Subscription required for access to ASCE Journals.
- National Highway Institute (NHI)
To see if a Special Provision has previously been prepared contact the RPG - Geotechnical Design Section. For guidance on preparing Special Provisions see GDM Chapter 23. In order to assist in the development of specific Special Provisions, SCDOT is providing below are "Draft" Special Provisions that require editing to meet the needs and requirements of specific projects. It is incumbent on the User to make the appropriate corrections for the specific project.
Correction to SC-M-203-11 - 06302020
Draft Special Provisions
SECTION 107: Monitoring Of Constr. - Related Earthborne Vibrations
Geotechnical Training & Presentations
- Understanding ADRS Curves
- Development of an ADRS Curve
- Geophysics Field Testing Methods, Data Reduction, and Interpretation of Results (Video Training)
Geotechnical Research Reports
- UT-21.20 Simplified CPT PB Liquefaction Phase 1
- UT-21.21 Simplified CPT PB Liquefaction Phase 2
- Project Summary TPF-5(296) March 2019
- Simplified SPT Performance-Based Assessment-of Liquefaction & Effects Updated Liquefaction Parameter Mapping
- Simplified SPT Performance-Based Assessment-of Liquefaction & Effects
- Geotechnical Design Manual, Version 2.0 (2019)
- Geotechnical Design Manual, Version 1.0 (2008)
- Geotechnical Design Manual, Version 1.1 (2010)
Supplemental Specifications/Supplemental Technical Specifications
- SC-M-203-1 Geosynthetic Materials - Separation & Stabilization
- SC-M-203-2 Geogrid Soil Reinforcement
- SC-M-203-3 Geotextile Soil Reinforcement
- SC-M-203-4 Settlement Plates
- SC-M-203-5 Lightweight Aggregates
- SC-M-203-6 Vibrating-Wire Piezometer
- SC-M-203-7 Settlement Sensors
- SC-M-203-8 Vibrating Wire Rod Extensometer
- SC-M-203-9 Slope Inclinometer Casing
- SC-M-203-11 Vibrating Wire Data Collection Center
- SC-M-204-1 Cofferdams
- SC-M-204-2 Temporary Shoring
- SC-M-205-1 Earthquake Drains
- SC-M-205-2 Stone Columns
- SC-M-206-1 Reinforced Soil Slopes
- SC-M-711-1 Timber Piles
- SC-M-712-1 Bi-Directional Static Load Testing of Drilled Shafts
- SC-M-712-2 High Strain Dynamic Load Testing of Drilled Shafts
- SC-M-712-3 Rapid Axial Load Testing of Drilled Shafts
- SC-M-713 Mechanically Stabilized Earth (MSE) Walls
- SC-M-801-1 Prefabricated Vertical Drains
- SC-M-802-1 Geocomposite Wall Drain