hands at a desk writing with a computer in the background

Frequently Asked Questions

Your interest in the job functions of SCDOT are very important to us. Listed here are some of the main questions we have been asked either through surveys or during visits to the communities. If you have a question that is not listed here, go to the Contact Us section of this site and submit it. Your question will be directed to the appropriate person or you will be notified who to contact depending on the nature of the question.

Is my road a state road?

In South Carolina there are over 60,000 public road miles. SCDOT maintains over 41,000 miles of those roadways. The remaining miles are maintained by local governments, private businesses or individuals. To determine if your road is maintained by the state, go to SCDOT's free Street Finder tool.

You may also contact the SCDOT Customer Service Center Monday-Friday from 8:30am-5:00pm at 1-855-GO-SCDOT to see if your road is a state road.

Back to Top

How do I get a driveway?

If the road is maintained by SCDOT, residential property owners may submit a request for a new driveway apron by contacting their local SCDOT Office.

Driveway aprons for commercial businesses are completed under an encroachment permit. You will find information and step by step instructions on the Encroachment Permits page.

Back to Top

How do I report a pothole?

To report a pothole, enter a work request online using the online Maintenance Work Request System.

You may also contact the SCDOT Customer Service Center Monday-Friday from 8:30am-5:00pm at 1-855-GO-SCDOT.

Back to Top

What projects are in my area?

Check project status on the SCDOT Construction Updates Website Check maintenance projects on the SCDOT Road Conditions site.

The Call Center can assist the customer with navigating these webpages. They are open Monday-Friday from 8:30am-5:00pm at 1-855-GO-SCDOT.

Back to Top

What does it take to get SCDOT to put up a traffic signal?

SCDOT receives and satisfies many requests for traffic signals each year. The agency also investigates and denies many signal requests which citizens consider needed. At many intersections, traffic signals offer the best solution for improved safety and traffic flow. But that is not always the case. There are locations where the positive effects of traffic signals are limited, at best, making it unnecessary and even undesirable to install them.

To determine if a traffic signal is warranted at a specific location, traffic engineers evaluate the location with respect to federal and state criteria, establishing minimum conditions under which signals may be installed. Such factors as number of vehicles approaching the intersection, frequency and type of accidents, physical layout of the intersection, average speed, and future road construction plans are considered. SCDOT takes all requests for traffic signals seriously. When engineering studies indicate that traffic signals are warranted at a location, action is initiated to have signals installed.

Back to Top

Why can't I have "Children Playing" signs on streets in my neighborhood?

"Children Playing" and similar signs are not recognized by SCDOT or the Federal Highway Administration as official traffic control devices and, therefore, are not installed by the Department.

Parents and others may fail to realize that signs warning motorists of the possible presence of children at play are deceiving and ineffective. Motorists already expect the presence of children in residential areas, especially at certain times, and studies show that devices attempting to warn motorists of normal conditions, or conditions not always present, fail to achieve the desired safety benefits.

These signs also tend to create a false sense of security of parents and children who believe the signs provide an added degree of protection, when motorists, particularly local ones, actually pay little attention to them.

The use of "Children Playing" and similar signs has long been discouraged since these signs are a direct and open suggestion to small children that playing in and beside the roadway is acceptable.

There is no evidence that such signs prevent accidents or reduce the speed of vehicles.

Back to Top

Will SCDOT install speed bumps on a street near my home?

Speed bumps vary in height from 3" to 5" and are typically no wider than 2'. Understandably, a motorist would have to slow down to 15 mph or less to avoid severe jarring. Therefore, SCDOT does not consider them a viable traffic-calming alternative. Again, speed bumps are not approved traffic calming measure and will not be approved.

Speed Bumps vs. Speed Humps

Speed humps provide a gradual 3" rise and fall over 12' to 22' distance that allows constant speeds of 15 to 25 mph to be utilized. SCDOT has approved speed humps as a traffic calming measure, to be used on specific, low volume residential roadways within our system.

SCDOT has established Traffic Calming Guidelines, which outlines eligible measures that can implement traffic calming on eligible, low volume residential or central business district roadways in your area. Allowed measures include speed humps, landscaped islands, neckdowns, raised crosswalks, and traffic circles. The local government which has jurisdiction in your area is required to sponsor any traffic calming efforts, including design, installation and on-going maintenance. Sponsorship includes all costs associated with the project. Traffic calming measures must be approved by 75% petition support or local government approval, and must meet all SCDOT requirements prior to approval by the Department. For more information, you may contact your local city or county government or the local SCDOT office.

Back to Top

Why does SCDOT install four-way stop signs at some intersections?

Four-way stop signs (stop in all directions) may be needed at intersections where accidents resulting from right and left turn maneuvers, as well as right-angle accidents, occur at an unacceptable rate, and where traffic volumes do not warrant traffic signal control. Traffic engineers evaluate the number of vehicles entering the intersection from all approaches and the number of pedestrians using the intersection. Another important factor is the speed of vehicles entering the intersection. Another is the number and types of accidents occurring at the intersection. If conditions meet the requirements necessary for the installation of four-way stop signs, SCDOT erects them, along with the proper pavement markings and advance warning devices. Warranted four-way stop signs contribute much to convenience and safety. They are one of the many traffic control devices used by SCDOT to effectively manage traffic on our roadways.

Back to Top

How can I get a State Highway Map?

To receive a free copy of the latest South Carolina State Highway Map call or write:

Road Data Services - Room 534 (map request)
Office of Planning
South Carolina Department of Transportation
P. O. Box 191
Columbia, SC 29202
Telephone: (803)737-4533

What other maps does SCDOT produce?
Individual city and county maps are available at a nominal charge.

Engineering Publications Sales Office
Room G-19
South Carolina Department of Transportation
P. O. Box 191
Columbia, SC 29202
Telephone: (803)737-4533

Back to Top

How do I get my business sign on a blue logo panel?

The logo program in South Carolina is administered by a private contractor who is responsible for all marketing, construction and maintenance of the program. South Carolina Logos, Inc. (SCLI) is the current logo contractor and they will be glad to explain the logo program requirements, availability, and costs to prospective businesses. SCLI may be reached at 800-332-1727. For more information on the logo program, visit our Logo Signing Web Page.

Back to Top

Do I need a permit for my truck or large vehicle, and, if so, how do I get it?

The Oversize/Overweight Permit Office issues permits for loads and mobile homes that exceed the legal dimensions governed by the laws of South Carolina.

If your load or mobile home exceeds:
8 feet, six inches in width
13 feet, six inches in height
53 feet in length
80,000 pounds gross weight
you may need an oversize trip permit.

Contact the Oversize/Overweight Permit Office for information.

In Person:
955 Park Street
Columbia, SC 29201

By Mail:
South Carolina Department of Transportation
Attention OSOW Permit Office
P.O. Box 191
Columbia, SC 29202

By Email: OSOW Help

By Phone:
(877) 349-7190 (Toll Free)
(803) 737-OSOW or (803) 737-6769 (Local)
(803) 343-0700 (Fax)

Back to Top

How can I get my road paved?

If the road is a dirt road, most likely it is maintained by the county or city where it is located. SCDOT has only a few dirt roads in the State Highway System. You should first contact the county public works department for the county where the road is located. They will inform you if the road belongs to the county or to someone else. The procedure varies among counties, but the public works department should be able to advise you how to request this.

If the road is already paved and you would like it resurfaced, contact the SCDOT maintenance office in your county to inquire whether the road is maintained by SCDOT, and whether it is scheduled for resurfacing.

Back to Top

How do I get a sign put up on my road?

Traffic control signs are erected by the agency responsible for the maintenance of the road. You may contact the SCDOT maintenance office in your county to inquire what office is responsible for traffic control signs on your road. Street name signs are erected by counties and cities.

Back to Top

How do I file a claim against SCDOT?

Visit the SCDOT Damage Claims home page for detailed instructions on how to file a claim.

Back to Top

How do I report a fraud or an ethics violation involving SCDOT?

The Office of the SC Inspector General investigate reports of waste, fraud, and abuse. To report potentially fraudulent activity about a program administered by the agency, you can contact the Inspector General at this web site:
Office of the Inspector General - Report Waste & Abuse

Back to Top